Today is September 30th 2015 and it is the International Translation Day, the annual event for translation community. Here are some fun facts about the Day and the work of translators:
- International Translation Day is celebrated every year on 30 September on the feast of St. Jerome, the Bible translator, who is considered the patron saint of translators and interpreters throughout the world. For a long time, the days and weeks (and sometimes months) around 30 September have therefore been used by translators and interpreters (and their associations) to celebrate the occasion.
- The celebrations have been promoted by FIT (the International Federation of Translators) ever since it was set up in 1953. In 1991, FIT launched the idea of an officially recognized International Translation Day to show solidarity of the worldwide translation community in an effort to promote the translation profession in different countries (not necessarily only in Christian ones).
- International Translation Day now comes into the calendar of world events. This annual celebration is an opportunity to pay tribute to the work of translators who endeavor to make the world a slightly smaller place by breaking down language barriers and allowing great literature to be enjoyed far more widely. According to Gabriel Garcia Marquez, his book, One Hundred Years of Solitude was better in the English translation than in the original Spanish.
- Harry Porter has even been translated into dead languages. Some academics undertook the mammoth project of translating Harry Potter into Latin – Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis – and Ancient Greek – Ἅρειος Ποτὴρ καὶ ἡ τοῦ φιλοσόφου λίθος. The latter was the longest Ancient Greek text written since 3AD!
- The word ‘translate’ comes from the Latin for ‘to move from one place to another’. The most translated book is The Bible, with Pinocchio in second place. The languages most often translated into others are English, French, German, Russian and Italian.
- The work of translators is seen as being of growing importance due to growing opportunities for international travel and globalization of trade markets. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the number of jobs for translators and interpreters will expand 42% from 2010 to 2020 – making it one of the fastest growing professions in the US.
We are so proud to be part of the localization industry and bring value to the community. We want to say HAPPY INTERNATIONAL TRANSLATION DAY to each and every professional in the industry, THANK YOU all for your amazing work!!!
Dr.Localize Communication Bridge Co. Ltd (Dr.Localize Co. Ltd.) successfully organized the internship program for students of K57, School of Foreign Languages, Hanoi University of Science and Technology last August. The internship program is more than an opportunity for students to practice their academic knowledge and skills. Above all, it is really an important step to help students get to know a real working environment and understand more about themselves in choosing their future job.
Dr.Localize Co. Ltd is a professional multilingual service provider. We offer a wide spectrum of customer-oriented services to meet the ever-increasing demand for content and multimedia localization to help businesses quickly reach clients and ship their products to markets. The internship program is one of our annual programs for English students of the School of Foreign Languages, HUST. Dr.Localize supports SOFL students with the hope that students could see how the knowledge and translation skills they have gained at school could be applied to the real work and understand more about what they could do as a full time job in the future. Specifically, the internship programs are tailored-made with a view to guiding translation and working skills and preparing them tips to engage in a professional and active environment.
Until now, it is the 6th internship program that Dr.Localize has organized for SOFL students. The program attracts 40 participants and lasts for 6 weeks from July 6th to August 14th, 2015. In the customized program, the students would first complete a survey showing their career goals and passion for the translation/interpretation job. During their internship, students were assigned linguistic projects so that they could acquire the real workflow and follow the professional working style. They are trained and supported by a team of qualified and experienced staff in a professional and dedicated manner. Mr. Duke, CEO of Dr.Localize said, “The Company has organized several internship programs to support students in their first step into the real enterprise world. Furthermore, after the program, our Company is also committed to supporting the students in perfecting their skills and providing job opportunities to interested and qualified students. The internship program is still maintained and hosted freely for all interns.”
The annual internship programs powered by Dr.Localize are highly appreciated and given great compliments by teachers of the School of Foreign Languages. According to Ms. Nguyen Thi Thu Ha, teacher of English Language (General) Department, “The program focuses on exactly what the students have learnt at university. Students have a wonderful opportunity of getting to know a professional working environment and applying their academic knowledge as well as gaining soft skills that are really essential for them.” Ms. Dau Thi Le Hieu, Head of the English Language (ESP) and Translation Department emailed us with the message: “Thank you very much for your help and support with our students in the internship program. HUST students are really grateful and they are still longing for more chances to work in such a professional working environment. We hope HUST and Dr.Localize will have more and more cooperation chances like this.”
The programs are also highly anticipated by HUST students due to its great value. One of the students, Nguyen Thi Thanh Huyen wrote, “The internship program is really useful. It provides us essential experience and working skills that we could not learn at university. I am truly grateful and would like to give great thanks to the Company.” One team leader, Ma Minh Trang shared her opinions: “During our internship, the company’s facilitators are very dedicated and always willing and ready to help us. They are always in time and very professional.” Upon the completion of the program, most of the students wish that the program could last longer and hope for a chance to work in the company. A male student, Dao Duy Nam added, “After the program, I really love to have a chance to work here.”
The internship programs of Dr.Localize in cooperation with the School of Foreign Languages, Hanoi University of Science and Technology are organized annually. They will continue to be improved days by days to become more and more effective and open new and wonderful doors to future for students.
DR.LOCALIZE CO., LTD is a professional multilingual service provider based in Hanoi, Vietnam. We are now searching for a Project Coordinator to start as soon as possible.
- Coordinate linguistic projects: assign tasks, support and supervise the production team
- Analyze project requirements (volume, deadline, field of expertise, language pair, difficulty…) for turnaround time, resources and budget
- Prepare and manage glossaries, CAT tools and reference documents
- Follow up and provide immediate report on the quality and availability of freelancers/ vendors
- Anticipate, avoid and mitigate risks
- Establish and maintain a fruitful relationship with the production team and vendors
- Complete other tasks assigned
- Bachelor Degree in Foreign Languages, IT….
- Competent in English
- Ability to multi task, be confident in a multilingual and multicultural environment
- Adaptable to flexible work schedule when required to meet deadlines
- Self motivated with good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work with others as a team
- Strong communication and persuasion skills – oral and written
- Knowledge of CAT tools, DTP and interest in IT/software is a plus
- Professional training, opportunity of knowledge and skill development
- Stable job, promising career path
- Active, friendly, challenging and international working environment
- Compensation and benefits in compliance with the Labor Law and regulations of the Company
- Attractive salary
- Work location: Hanoi
- CV/Resumé/Profile (English or Vietnamese, in .docx or PDF)
- Application form
- Scans of certificates and degrees
- Other relevant documents
or send email to the address below:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email title: “Hồ sơ ứng tuyển – Vị trí Nhân viên Điều phối dự án – Họ tên”
Eg.: “Hồ sơ ứng tuyển – Vị trí Nhân viên Điều phối dự án – Trần Thị H”
*Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Dr.Localize launched the new website 3.0 today. The site has been revamped to be responsive and mobile-friendly. The interface will automatically adjust to fit different screen sizes.
– More content sections have been added.
– More forms are designed and incorporated to enable visitors to register or request info faster and easily.
– Real time chat feature has been integrated so that visitors can start chat instantly with person in charge if they have any query.
– Social media and networking services have been integrated for better coverage.
– Blogging function has been added to provide more coverage of the company’s news and events.